for 4 people
300gr desalted salt cod
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves
1 cup of flour
1 cup of water (or 1/2 water and 1/2 milk)
1 Tbsp of olive oil
Fresh ground black pepper
Oil to deep fry
1. Remove skin and bones from the desalted salt cod. Shred the cod with your hands.
2. Finely chop the onion and the garlic cloves.
3. Chop the parsley
4. In a bowl combine the water, egg and olive oil. Add the flour and whisk heavily.
5. Add the onion, garlic, cod and the parsley.
6. Season to your taste with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
7. Heat the oil up in a large frying pan. Spoon the batter with the help of a serving spoon.
8. When you place the batter into the oil, the spoon should drop the batter back/front so that they stay flat. If you drop the batter from front to back the fritters will be thick and round.
9. Turn the fritters around until they’re golden.
10. Remove the fritters from the frying pan and let them rest on a plate covered with kitchen paper towel.
Serve with a green salad or any of these rices – tomato / tomato & red sweet peppers / beans / green sprouts.
This recipe is a traditional recipe from the Portuguese Cuisine – Estremadura Region (Lisbon).
Bom Proveito! (Enjoy it!)
This batter also makes delicious savoury pancakes, is as simple as changing the cooking method.
If you have fish leftovers replace the codfish with the leftovers.